There are so many negative implications of this. I am so glad that it was prevented but so sad about the negative consequences it will have on thousands of other, good people in this state (and country).
My prayers are with the Muslim community of Portland.
In the wake of a shitty week, this week’s 3hree Things is a collection of three rants/letters from my past. I’ll be back at full strength next week. Sorry for mailing this one in, and thanks for reading.
1. TSA agent feels around inside woman’s underwear: An ABC News producer says that while traveling recently, a TSA agent stuck a hand inside her underwear. “The woman who checked me reached her hands inside my underwear and felt her way around,” she said. “It was basically worse than going to the gynecologist. It was embarrassing. It was demeaning. It was inappropriate.”
2. Man has to board plane covered in urine: A retired teacher from Lansing, Michigan, had his urostomy bag torn open by TSA agents during an “enhanced pat-down.” The man, a cancer survivor, had to walk through the airport and board a plane while soaked in his own urine.
3. Cancer survivor forced to remove prosthetic breast: A flight attendant going through security in Charlotte, North Carolina, was shocked and horrified when TSA agents forced her to expose and remove her prosthetic breast during a particularly aggressive pat-down.
4. Agents search half-naked 5-year-old child: A father in Utah removed his son’s shirt when the boy was (understandably) too shy to be searched by TSA agents. The agency tried to force the man to delete video footage of the incident, but he refused.
5. Pants pulled off senior citizen on his anniversary: A 71-year-old man had his pants pulled down by a TSA agent in a public area so the agent could inspect his knee replacement. The man and his wife were threatened with missing their flight if he didn’t comply. The couple were taking off on a trip for their 50th wedding anniversary.
Can’t wait for my flight tomorrow!
Holy shit. That’s just awful.
And there’s more!
6. TSA Officer Caught Masturbating To Body Scanners
Sometime back in August, a TSA officer was caught masturbating to the images of young women who were walking through the body scanner. Story here.
Yes, of course these pat downs and body scans are ridiculous, but I think there’s a bigger problem here. To paraphrase Lewis Black on the issue “So in the name of fighting terrorism we’re willing to start wars, waterboard people, and kill civilians with unmanned drones, but the one line we won’t cross is our waistlines.”
The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people who agree with these wars and don’t question the crimes being committed to other people around the world and then they freak when the war affects themselves personally on a level so miniscule compared to what their governments are doing abroad.
Taurus - What is the “soul”, anyway? Is it a ghostly blob of magic stuff within us that keeps us connected to the world of dreams and divine realms? Is it an amorphous metaphor for the secret source of our spiritual power? Is it a myth that people entertain because they desperately want to believe there’s more to them than just their physical bodies? Here’s what I think: The soul is a perspective that pushes us to go deeper and see further and live wilder. It’s what drives our imagination to flesh out our raw experience, transforming that chaotic stuff into rich story lines that animate our love of life. With the gently propulsive force of the soul, we probe beyond the surface level of things, working to find the hidden meaning and truer feeling. I’m bringing this up, Taurus, because it is Celebrate the Soul Week for you.
“While assembling these, the earliest Nine Inch Nails recordings, Reznor was unable to find a band that could articulate the material as he desired. Instead, inspired by Prince, Reznor played all the instruments except drums himself.”
Often times, at the end of the day I just feel like pulling a Trent Reznor. Seemed to work well enough for him.